Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fair Weather Friends

Ever heard the term, "Fair Weather Fans"? Fans that only root for a team when they're on a winning streak? What about the term, "Fair Weather Friends"? I just sort of made it up. I'm sure you can put two and two together to figure out what that term means.

I'm not one to ask for sympathy from people. I don't like others to feel sorry for me and I certainly don't want anyone doing anything for me out of pity or guilt. But, ever since Kyle left for basic training, I almost feel invisible to some people of my friends.

Now, I normally wouldn't waste my breath letting others know if I'm upset with them, or if they hurt my feelings. When I was 16-19? Yeah, I would've let them know. But, after I started dating Kyle I felt like my life grew a greater purpose. To love someone unconditionally. So, Kyle became my best friend. And I like love it that way. That's how it should be... best friends with the one you plan to spend the rest of your life with, to have children with, to grow old with. Kyle is the greatest friend I could ask for (besides my mom and brother). Many couples don't view their significant other as a best friend, so I feel pretty lucky that mine and Kyle's connection goes beyond that of romance, we love spending time together... like best friends do. And that is what makes me love him.

Sorry, I get distracted when I talk about Kyle. :) Back to the "fair weather friends" deal. Certain friends have checked in. Friends I graduated college with. And I appreciate them. But, others haven't asked me how I am, haven't asked how Kyle is doing, nothing. Some will "like" my Facebook or Instagram posts, even put a little comment here and there. But, just because they click a button on a computer or their phone that sends a notification to me to let me know they "liked" something, does not make them a friend. Picking up a phone and giving me a call or shooting me a text, or even messaging me on Facebook to chat makes them a friend.

I've dealt with friends coming and going my entire life. It's how girls are--they're catty, sensitive, and naturally born gossipers (whether we want to admit it or not). I think I assumed as I got older that friendships would come and stay. But, most of them don't.

Some of you are probably saying, "Well, a friendship works two ways. You have to put forth effort too." I do. I text them, ask how they're doing, what's new in their life. But, as far as them reciprocating the questions and asking me... really asking me how I'm doing. It rarely happens.

I've accepted it. I'm 22 going on 23 and Kyle will be 26 in 3 months. We're growing up and moving on. Mentally, emotionally, and physically. Who knows where we will be this time next year? Maybe these fair weather friends are helping me out by not acting concerned about me or Kyle. Whatever the case, friends... they come and they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment