Saturday, February 16, 2013

10 Things I love about Drake

Writing 2 posts in the same week? I must have a fever. Nope. I just realized I am a tad bit obsessed with something... or someone.


My dog. My son. My best friend. Drake. So, I've decided to dedicate a blog post to the ole' snowball of yellow fur. He said he's quite honored. 



10 Things I love about Drake: 

1. His teeth: His teeth perplex me. They're so shiny and they fit together perfectly. I'm currently (trying) to teach him how to smile. It's the most adorable thing, really. I have to lift up his flappy jowls to show him that in order to smile, he must show his teeth. Trying to teach a 6 year old dog a new trick is rather difficult. 

I refuse to give up.




2. His paw pads: I love his feet. Everything about them. One of his toenails is black - just one. On his front right paw. He chews on his paw pads, and I haven't quite figured out why. But, multiple times a day he will chew on them (he's doing it right now, and I'm so not kidding). I don't know if they itch, or if he is just bored and looking for something to do. 

Either way, it's adorable.



3. His fat rolls: Good golly, this dog has some rolls. I'm not talking about just a few here and there. No, they are everywhere - and I love it! They're on his ankles (cankles, HA!), his forehead, all over his belly, his neck, his elbows, seriously. Everywhere. I can't help but play with them. It's just so cute. 

Okay, now you're thinking I'm crazy. That's okay, I accept my psycho dog woman tendencies. 

4. His scent: This sort of goes back to his paw pads. Drake's smell is like no other smell on the planet. This is where Drake becomes distinguished as a canine, because, well, no human could ever smell like this pup does. His coat smells of a musky-been-rolling-around-in-the-woods smell. It's glorious, really. His breath doesn't have a horrible odor like some dogs do. His paw pads, my God. Have you ever eaten Fritos? That's exactly how the bottom of his feet smell and I'm mesmerized by them. 

I sniff them daily. 

5. His sounds: Whether it's his sneezes, pants, snorts, gurgles, burps, gags, or the disgusting noise he makes when he "grooms" himself. I kind of love it. I can't fully describe the glorious-ness of the sounds. They're music to my ears. 

I'm losing it, I know. 

6. His sleeping habits: Every night when Drake gets good and comfortable, he will doze off into doggy land and dream of chasing chickens on a 200 acre farm, other times, he's the one being chased. How do I know? Watch him when he begins to dream. Sometimes he huffs and puffs through his nose and quickly moves his feet back and forth, probably chasing the chickens - that's a good dream. Other times, he breathes through his mouth and whimpers a bit. This is when either Kyle or myself will gently shake him and call his name in order to wake him up from his nightmare. After we watch and giggle at our puppy's cute cries, of course. 

We're evil sometimes, too. If you heard his whimpers, you would want to listen for a few seconds, too.



7. His appetite: This dog will eat anything. Anything. Grapes, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers. I'm only listing the things that many dogs children won't eat. Drake is not a biased pup, that's for sure. Then of course, there are the lays potato chips, the bread, the brownies. You know, the good stuff. Also, he will let you put a piece of food on his nose and wait beg for you to tell him when he can eat it. It's adorable, really. 

He loves food. (Like his Mama)

8. His playfulness: Drake will play with anyone or anything. No matter how small or big the object may be. He also thinks everyone wants to play with him. He's not the most gentle dog to play with. He isn't mean. Drake has never bitten anyone except maybe a bug that was crawling on my bedroom floor that I told him to get. And he did, like the vicious warrior dog he is. Ask him if he is a "happy dog" or if he is "excited" and he will become an excited, happy dog in an instant. He will become "Hopping Harry" (as Kyle calls him when he begins to hop up and down). Then, he will run like a cheetah and scoot his precious little huge bottom across the floor. Once he's tired of running, he will grab something, anything that he can get his teeth into (pillow, blanket, shirt, sock, bone, chew toy, etc.) and play with it. I think he likes to show off. 

I'll have to capture this on video one day. 

9. His loyalty: Drake will love me and Kyle until the day he goes to heaven. Yes, I believe there is a canine/animal heaven for animals that have been the loyal, compassionate, faithful servants they are supposed to be. He follows me everywhere. When I leave the house and I don't shut my bedroom door behind me, he will trot down the stairs in hopes that I am taking him with me. If I don't let the snowball go on a ride, he will sit at the top of the stairs and wait until he hears the garage door open, then he will race down the stairs to meet me happily at the door. There is nothing like the love a dog has for his/her owner. Nothing can compare. When I fell in love with Kyle, I fell in love with Drake. He and I have become so incredibly close since Kyle left 3 months ago for basic training. I have missed Kyle tremendously, but this time truly has brought Drake and I together.

It's been wonderful, really.



10. I apologize for this post. 

I just love my dog son. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment