Thursday, April 25, 2013

the best snack in the 90's

Anyone remember Dunkaroos? Let me refresh your memory:


Remember? If not, you truly missed out during your childhood. I can no longer find these bad boys anywhere. I don't know if they stopped making them or what. Maybe they're only available in certain states... who knows. They were delicious though. When searching for this image, I clicked the source for the image by accident and stumbled across Ebay. So, I guess people are buying them somewhere if they're selling them online.

Well, a friend of mine on Facebook somehow came across a recipe for the "dip" you dip the cookies in. She shared it on Facebook the other day and I was so curious I went out and bought the ingredients that day. So, I shall share it with you.

I bought the following. I'm a little bit cheap and went with the Publix brand instead of buying Cool Whip for like $3 or $4, Yoplait yogurt for probably $3-$5 and the better brand of animal crackers for probably $2-4. I bought everything for under $8.





All I did was put the cake mix, whipped topping, and plain yogurt into a medium to large size mixing bowl and stir until it seemed to be blended fairly well. It seriously took like 3-4 minutes for me to do. I used the whole tub of whipped cream and the whole box of cake mix. I didn't use the entire tub of yogurt. I didn't realize how disgusting plain yogurt is. I only put about 1 1/2 cups in the bowl. I think my friend used 2 cups, but I couldn't stomach the bitter taste it left in my mouth. The yogurt sort of counteracts the sweet taste of the cake mix and the whipped cream, so I understand why that is a part of the ingredients.
This is what the dip looked liked after I mixed it all together.     
So, my review. From what I can remember, this tastes almost exactly like Dunkaroos. I haven't had them in a long time, but I do remember how much I loved them. Mom didn't buy them very often because, well, lets face it: vanilla frosting and graham cookies isn't exactly the healthiest snack. You could switch it up and dip apples in it, I suppose.

So, if you're in the mood for a sweet, easy-to-make snack, this does the trick pretty well.

Dunkaroos lives on, folks.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel! I love this! Dunkaroos were the bomb.com.
    I'm going to have to try this.

    I'm enjoying reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete